Peters resa

Hmm. it seems that my journey has more or less reached it's end, in more ways than one... I guess I will still need to sum up what came out of it, but that will have to waut for another time. Meanwhile, some hints can be found at http://helenaopeter@blogspot.com

Min bilder
Namn:
Plats: Stockholm, Sweden

2006-06-04

Jack Wilde's story – or how to build a canoe in three(!) years

Jack's sailing canoe - still with the mast at the wrong end!


I don’t even remember if the guy’s name was really Jack, but Raquel will undoubtedly correct me if I am wrong. But he is somewhat my hero (as well as a really nice guy!), so I wanted to tell you a little about him anyway. [Yes, Raquel DID correct me - fixed now!]

First he has a somewhat romantic background, where he is married to his high school sweetheart. But it’s better than that. They hadn’t seen each other in 20 years or so before meeting each other again, and the love was reborn again!

Secondly he’s doing something along the lines that I guess that I’m dreaming of: During the tourist season he’s living in Belize, close to Dangriga, working as a canoe/kayaking guide, while the rest of th year he stays with his wife in Mexico.

Thirdly, he could be one of the most stubborn persons known to mankind: three years ago he bought a native dug-out canoe with the intention of turning it into a sailing canoe, with mast, sail, decking, outrigger, etc. And then sail it down the cost, through the Panama canal and and then up the Pacific coast to northern Mexico.

Well, he has had more than his fair share of problems (like the last one was when he recently found out that he had accidentally put the mast in the aft of the boat instead of the front; I kid you not!), but he has not given up. For three years he has kept on coming to Belize to work and to build on his canoe. I hope it’s gonna be done soon, so his poor wife gets to see him again.

Not that I think you’ll ever get to read this Jack, but still: Good luck!!