Peters resa

Hmm. it seems that my journey has more or less reached it's end, in more ways than one... I guess I will still need to sum up what came out of it, but that will have to waut for another time. Meanwhile, some hints can be found at http://helenaopeter@blogspot.com

Min bilder
Namn:
Plats: Stockholm, Sweden

2006-06-27

4th day in Lanquin – The Peters and rafting

So who’s Don Pedro? Well, it turned out that we were three people named Peter staying at El Retiro at the same time, so we needed some way of telling us apart. I honestly don’t remember what we called the third guy, but the reason that I remember Don Pedro (apart from him being a really nice guy) was that he joined us for the rafting trip on my fourth day.

The group before heading out – Don Pedro is the third from the left.

Since the rumour about Lanquin an El Retiro seems to be spreading, there’s a few things happening around here. The new cave in Semuc is one thing and another is rafting. Martin, a dutch guy came by here a few months ago and saw the business opportunity: to set up a rafting business. He and his friend Adam has spent a few months surveying the nerby rivers in kayaks, and the week that I got there it was time for the grand finale: getting some paying customers on the river!

Martin before we set off on the trip. Or Adam? Or Martin? One of them at least...

Of course we didn’t go in kayaks – me and the other beginners would probably had been killed or something! As it turned out the rains the preceding days had made the river really hard. We stopped at one place and checked the water depth – at a place where the guides had never seen more than 180 cm before, the water now was at 270 cm!

The rapids had gotten at least one class harder, so the first real rapid was now a 5+! For those that know there rapid classifications, that is NOT a rapid where you take a boat full of beginners, especially when there is a 4+ right behind it! So we started the rafting by carrying the rubber boats 200 meters downstream. :-(

Myself with some of the easier rapids in the background. And yes, this was before I fell in! :-)

But after that it was GREAT! I fell in two times, one of them when the boat flipped and the other time when I didn’t go down fast enough when we went through a BIG wave. They tell me that I’m not supposed to admit that I fell in twice since the idea is NOT to fall in, but hey: where’s the fun in that!? But to be honest I was a bit afraid at one time when I got caught in a backdraft and had problems getting up again. But all’s well that ends well I guess... And I had the adrenalin running pretty much constantly for two hours – GREAT!

If you never tried rafting before: definitely recommended!

This scary-looking creature is actually very nice: Heather Kenison is a resident ski-bum in Squaw Valley that really made me want to come there for a visit (for the skiing only of course! :-)).

4 Comments:

Blogger Peter Hjalmarsson said...

You mean Adam (yes, it is Adam in the picture, not Martin) I guess (or possibly me? :-)). At least he didn't have a girlfriend when I was there. He is also incredibly nice.

Adam is working with Martin as an assistant rafting guide, and they live a km or so down the road from the guest house. Just ask for him in the bar of the guest house and they will put you in contact with him.

Watch out though there is another Adam guy working in the bar, who just happens to look quite like him as well!

When you get there, tell everyone that the Swedish mohawk dude from June saud hi! Please tell them about this blog as well, I forgot to tell them, and since there is quite a lot of things about El Retiro and Lanquin, maybe they like to know?

17 augusti, 2006 17:30  
Blogger Peter Hjalmarsson said...

Oh, Sarah, how did you find my blog entry btw?

17 augusti, 2006 17:31  
Anonymous Anonym said...

Hi thanks for telling me about him. Im planning to go kayaking in lanquin and simply tiped in rafting lanquin and got your page. Its really nice...keep it up

18 augusti, 2006 15:55  
Blogger Peter Hjalmarsson said...

Martin and Adam has kayaks as well (they scouted the river in them), and although it is not part of the official program, I am sure that they could borrow/rent one to you.

18 augusti, 2006 16:03  

Skicka en kommentar

<< Home