Peters resa

Hmm. it seems that my journey has more or less reached it's end, in more ways than one... I guess I will still need to sum up what came out of it, but that will have to waut for another time. Meanwhile, some hints can be found at http://helenaopeter@blogspot.com

Min bilder
Namn:
Plats: Stockholm, Sweden

2006-06-04

Belize summary

Well, I’ve now posted 16 blog entries (including this one) the last few hours, so you better go down to ”The Mohawk” and start to do some reading!

Unfortunately, Blogspot has some issues with uploading pictures to their server right now. I've tried to divide the material between more posts than before to accomodate for more pictures, and then this happens...i'll post a note here when the pictures are online [UPDATE: They should be working fine now!] - it might take some time though, I have no idea how much Intenet I'll do in Guatemala. At least some of the pics made it, and some of them are sweet I think...

When you get back up here, you can then read my little summary of what I thought about Belize.

Belize in just a few words
I hope that you already have realized this from reading my other entries, but: I really liked Belize! The country is in many ways still a very charming “banana republic” like what you can see in 50’s movies, which is a special kind of charm in itself, and excellent when you just want to relax. But there is also a good tourist infrastructure in place, so there are plenty of activities available if you prefer that.

Here’s a short list of some of the good and the bad:

Recommended
  • Ride the Chicken buses (normal buses) and be open to people – a great way to get to know people.
  • Snorkelling in Hol Chan and Shark Alley, and go with Carlos’ at Caye Caulker. I’m sure that the diving is excellent also, especially at the Blue Hole, but I did no diving this time.
  • Stay at Val’s Hostel in Dangriga and talk to Dana, the owner.
  • ATM cave excursion outside San Ignacio; go with Snooty Fox Tours.
  • Eat the grilled snapper at Serendib in San Ignacio. Certainly one of the best fish I’ve ever had!
  • Stay at the Hi-Et in San Ignacio and spend the evenings at theie wonderful porch!

Avoid

  • Mayawalk tours in San Ignacio. Recommended by Lonely Planet, but did not work for us. Also uses very questionable business tactics according to other locals.
  • Belize City. Yes, it’s at least as bad as everyone says. If you NEED to be there, make sure that you go to Bird’s Island for lunch, coffee or dinner however.* The cab driver’s calls of “Taxi, sir?”. No wait, you can’t avoid THAT. :-)

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonym said...

Hey Peter, loving the blog! Where can I find the other online pictures you refer to above? Sharon

12 juni, 2006 13:56  
Blogger Peter Hjalmarsson said...

Sharon,

at first there were no pictures at all for most blog entries because of blogspot's fuck-up. So as long as you can see one picture per entry you are doing fine.

O, and thanks for the kind words!

13 juni, 2006 16:20  

Skicka en kommentar

<< Home