Peters resa

Hmm. it seems that my journey has more or less reached it's end, in more ways than one... I guess I will still need to sum up what came out of it, but that will have to waut for another time. Meanwhile, some hints can be found at http://helenaopeter@blogspot.com

Min bilder
Namn:
Plats: Stockholm, Sweden

2006-07-22

Istanbul, July 21-22

The beautiful blue mosque.

Up until now, even though I’ve sometimes (or you might say always...) published the blog in batches, this is the first time I’ve actually written the entries in anything but chronological order. As I’m writing this, I have just finished the Bishkek sucks! (Kyrghyzstan day one: Bishkek sucks! (July 23)) entry, and maybe that is why Istanbul felt so positive?
I don’t think so however, because I remember the feeling while I was still there! I only spent one day, or even less, in the city, so there’s obviously more to discover when I get back there on my way home, but here’s a shortlist of my impressions so far.
  • Cheapest airport to downtown fare in my life so far! The 0,80$ subway ride even beats what Lonely Planet claimed the cost would be in Cancun, and in reality was five times cheaper!
    The hostel I stayed at (Cordial on Peykhane Sok 29, tel +90 212 518 05 76) was excellent – thanks Anna for the tip! Not only was it reasonably cheap (US $12), but it was very clean, had free Internet for us with laptops, and had good beer on tap in the bar! And it is right in the center of town!
    The Bazaar was excellent – easily the best market I’ve ever seen. Especially the central and oldest parts had an excellent selection of jewelry and decorative items. Also, the water pipes looked excellent, but I didn’t have a closer look since I plan to buy one when I get there the next time.
  • The area where all tourists gather, around the Blue Mosque and Hagia Sophia is unusually beautiful and it’s even nice to sit in the surrounding parks, since no touts (“friends” trying to take you to stores, museums, hotels, restaurants, etc.) are attacking you!
  • Food, both in restaurants and in stores seems cheap enough.

All in all, only good experiences, except when I read the map wrong and was only saved by my excellent watch/compass/etc. – yes it definitely deserves a Gear article soon – but I can’t blame that on the city! I really look forward to coming back.

This will probably be in the end of September or beginning of October – if you are interested in joining me there around that time, let me know, I would love the company! I’m planning to see more of Turkey as well and stay for 2-4 weeks, but I am flexible if anyone wants to join. Btw, there’s a travel agent on Sveavägen in Stockholm that advertises Istanbul flights for 400 SEK or so…